Fighting for Rights
Attorney Carla Lowry has spent most of her career fighting for the rights and liberty of clients throughout South Florida. Carla focuses her practice primarily on family law, criminal law, and dependency law. With over 20 years of litigation experience across multiple practice areas, and an appreciation of how one case can impact another, Carla is able to manage and support clients through complex matters and litigation. Carla understands that each client has their own unique needs, and each case requires its own strategy, so she works closely with her clients to understand the issues and build a solid foundation for the best results.
Experienced Attorney & Advocate
Carla’s divorce and family law experience includes uncontested divorce and contested divorce, paternity, child support, domestic violence, DCF, dependency cases, Hague Convention, and international family law matters. Carla is an experienced criminal defense attorney, handling cases ranging from misdemeanors to first degree homicide throughout the State of Florida and in Federal Court. Carla is an experienced appellate attorney, handling family law, criminal, and dependency appeals, as well as post-conviction relief cases, ranging from third degree felonies to life felonies and first-degree homicide.
Carla is a Certified Florida Supreme Court Family Law Mediator and is available to assist families in resolving their issues. As an experienced litigator and mediator, Carla understands the value of allowing families to take control of their circumstances and come to an agreement.
Recognition & Notable Matters
- Recognized as an Elite Lawyer for Excellence in Criminal and Family Law
- Appointed as Special Public Defender for felony and misdemeanor criminal, juvenile delinquency, juvenile dependency and termination of parental rights, and appellate cases
- Qualified to sit as second chair death penalty counsel
- Presented oral argument as co-counsel before the Florida Supreme Court on Death Penalty case
- Presented oral argument as lead counsel before the Fourth District Court of Appeals
- Lead the team in defending all citations issued to Uber partner drivers in the South Florida market and was part of the team involved in the legalization of the Uber platform in the South Florida region
- Featured as a leading Family Law Attorney for several Consulates representing the Hispanic communities
- Featured on Telemundo as an expert on criminal law
- Featured in several national television programs and magazines as an expert in family and criminal law, including: Primer Impacto, TVyNovelas, Suelta la Sopa, Hoy Corazon, TMZ, De Primera Mano, TV Azteca, SDP Noticias, El Comercial News, lasestrellas.TV, En Segundos, Extra and more
- Featured in several news outlets for high-profile cases
- Panelist for: Human Trafficking at Plain Sight, Latina Leasers Summit, Future Legal Leaders, Hispanic Women Leaders, Informed Voter’s Project “Tomorrow’s Leaders”, trial and moot court judge for high schools in Broward County, among other seminars to help shape high school students into the legal world
- Guest Speaker at Stetson University College of Law and Spanish River Community High School
Professional & Charitable Associations
- Secretary & Member of the Board of Directors, Broward County Hispanic Bar Association
- Member of the Board of Directors, Women in Distress
- Member of the Board of Directors, Hispanic Vote Broward County
- Member of Broward County Trial Association
- Member of the Women in Distinction Organization
- Advocate for Human Trafficking survivors through Justice Restoration Center
- Sponsor to Events Supporting minorities in the community and trial advocacy throughout the State of Florida
- Court appointed Guardian Ad Litem
Carla was raised in Boca Raton, Florida and attended the Ohio State University and University of Central Florida, where she obtained her Bachelor’s degree. Carla received her Juris Doctor degree from Stetson University. Before working in private practice, Carla gained trial and other experience at the State Attorney’s Office and the Public Defender’s office, where she tried hundreds of jury trials, including but not limited to sex crimes, homicide, drug offenses, appellate law, post-conviction relief, and death row appeals.
United States District Court Middle District of Florida
United States District Court Southern District of Florida